Grill 41 is the premier on-site barbecue, lobster bake, and clambake caterer on Boston’s South Shore, featuring fresh ingredients, from scratch cooking, and great customer service.
We are based in Hanover, MA and we specialize in barbecues, lobster bakes, and clambakes. We cater all types of events all over the South Shore and the Greater Boston area, including weddings, corporate events, school functions, birthday, graduation, and anniversary parties, tailgates, rehearsal dinners, family reunions, sports banquets, and backyard, neighborhood, and community barbecues.
Our catering menu features a wide variety of house-made grilled and barbecue specialties and classic comfort foods like grilled BBQ boneless chicken breast, pulled pork, sirloin steak tips, grilled shrimp, baby back ribs, fresh, hand formed 100% Angus burgers, homestyle macaroni & cheese, BBQ Beef brisket, chicken & broccoli penne, New England clam chowder, grilled sea scallops wrapped in bacon, grilled vegetable pasta primavera, calzones, BBQ & Buffalo chicken wings, and baked apple crisp.
Executive Chef & Owner
An honors graduate, Academic All-American, All-Ivy, and All-New England football player at Harvard University and a graduate of Boston College Law School, Joe left a career as a corporate attorney at a large international firm in Boston to become a professional chef.
After receiving an A.S. degree in Culinary Arts from Johnson & Wales University in 2005, Joe started Grill 41 as a different kind of catering company that focuses on from scratch cooking using fresh, high quality ingredients, on-site grilling, and excellent customer service.
What Makes Grill 41 Different From Other Caterers
- We make virtually everything on our menu in-house and from scratch, including our appetizers, entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
- We make our own homemade sauces, spice rubs, and marinades, and we use fresh, high quality ingredients, like USDA Choice beef, Grade A, vegetarian–fed, cage-free chicken, and the freshest produce, meats, and seafood available.
- We grill and cook right on-site for all of our events. We come in with our own grills and equipment and cook throughout the event so your food keeps coming out fresh for all of your guests.
- We provide full buffet service including everything that you need for your buffet (plates, napkins, flatware, serviceware, chafing stands & sternos, and buffet tables with linens)
- We focus solely on catering and do not have a restaurant, so the level of service that we offer our catering customers is second to none.
- Every event that we cater is important to us and we provide our customers with the best food and catering service available anywhere. Here are a few testimonials that we received from past customers:
- We have catered every type of event imaginable including wedding rehearsal dinners, birthday, anniversary, and graduation parties, weddings for 250+ guests, family reunions, school functions, tailgates for 400+ guests, and company barbecues for world-renowned corporations and universities. We even catered a couple of NHL Stanley Cup™ victory parties, so whatever you have in mind, Grill 41 will be sure to make your event a memorable one.
- To have us cater your next event, please contact our chef & owner, Joe Hiffa, via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is included in your on-site catering service?
- We grill and cook right on-site for our catered events. We come in with our own grills and equipment and we prepare everything for your event outdoors and set up your buffet wherever you would like (indoors or outdoors). We also cook throughout your event so your food keeps coming out fresh for all of your guests
- We provide at least one chef and one or more catering assistants who will cook on-site during your event and serve, set up, maintain, and breakdown your buffet.
- We generally provide a full-service buffet for all of our events. We also provide passed appetizer and appetizer station service.
- We usually keep buffet service open for 1-1/2 – 2 hours, but we can serve longer if you would like us to; please just let us know when you place your order.
- Our team generally arrives on-site about 1-1/2 hours before your scheduled food service to set up our grilling station and your buffet. We plan to be on-site for about 4 hours for most events, including set-up, service, and breakdown time. For weddings and longer events, we usually plan to be on-site for about 5-6 hours.
- We provide heavy duty white Chinet paper plates, white plastic flatware, napkins, serviceware, grey steel chafing stands with aluminum pans and sternos, and buffet tables with ivory cloth buffet table linens with ivory vinyl overlays as part of our on-site catering service at no extra charge. We also provide lobster crackers, lobster bibs, shell buckets, and wet naps for all of our lobster bakes and clambakes.
- If you prefer, we can substitute faux white china plastic plates, faux stainless steel plastic flatware, and/or stainless steel flatware for our standard plates and flatware package upon request and for an additional charge. We also offer stainless steel chafing dishes with stainless steel pans, and ivory, white, or black cloth buffet table linens without vinyl overlays for rental upon request.
- We cater all of our booked events rain or shine. We bring our own pop-up tents to cook under in the event of rain and we can set up your buffet either inside or outside, depending on the weather or your preference on the day of the event. If you are concerned about outdoor service for your party in the event of bad weather, we generally recommend renting a party tent for your guests.
- Our minimum on-site catering service charge is $485.
- Our total on-site catering service charge depends on your menu, the type of event, the event location, the number of guests, your event schedule, additional staffing requirements, rentals, and other details of your event.
Can we get an estimate of the total cost to have Grill 41 cater our event?
- We would be happy to prepare a catered event proposal for you with the estimated total cost of your event, including all menu, service, rental, Massachusetts meals tax, and other charges that may apply.
- Please just let us know the menu that you are interested in (either one of our menu packages or a custom menu), your event location, your expected number of guests, the date of your event, the type of event, your event schedule (including the time that you would like us to serve your food), and your contact information and we will e-mail you a catered event proposal for your review.
Can we customize our menu?
- Yes. We can customize any of our menu packages or create a completely custom menu for your event.
Do you have a minimum party size requirement?
- We generally require a minimum of 50 guests for all of our weekend events.
- Depending on our availability and the event location, date, and menu, we will sometimes cater weekday barbecue events and weekday or weekend lobster bakes and clambakes for smaller groups of at least 30-40 guests.
- In the early spring and late fall months (March, April, October, and November), we will sometimes cater weekend events for parties of at least 30 guests, depending on our availability and the details of the event.
- We are generally available to cater events for up to 400-500 guests any day of the week.
Do you cater weddings?
- Yes. Wedding reception catering is one of our specialties and we would be happy to work with you to put together a barbecue, lobster bake, clambake, or custom menu package that will be perfect for your special event.
- We provide our full on-site catering service, including on-site grilling and full dinner buffet service for all of our catered weddings.
- If you plan to have a cocktail hour, we also offer passed appetizer service and appetizer station service.
Do you cater company barbecues, lobster bakes, and clambakes, corporate outings, school, sports, and other institutional events?
- Yes. Catering for corporate, school, sports, and other institutional events, functions, and outings is another of our specialties.
- We can cater your event on-site at your location or at another venue that you decide to rent for the occasion.
- For weekday luncheons, we can generally offer our full on-site catering service for a minimum of 40-50 guests or delivery-only service for a minimum of 30-40 guests.
- We cater corporate, school, sports, and institutional events for up to 400-500 guests and we are available to cater your event any day of the week.
- Some of our current and past corporate, school, and institutional clients include, among others:
3Play Media, Advocates Family Support, Andrews Kurth LLP, The Arc of Greater Plymouth, Atrius Health Resource Center, Autocam Medical Company, Beacon Communities, Beacon Sales Company, Blue Bear Plumbing, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, Bluestone Energy Services, Brockton Police Honor Guard, Burbank Elementary School, Colonial Nissan Medford, Compass Medical, Cornell University Athletics, Crimson Lax, Dartmouth University Athletics, Derby Academy, EMD Serono, Eel River Beach Club, EOS-CCA, Faring Way at Union Point, Fennick McCredie Architecture, Fifield Fabrics, Fire Chiefs Assoc. of Plymouth County, Gray, Gray & Gray LLP, IEAE Paul Revere Chapter, Habeeb & Associates Architects, Harpoon Brewery, The Hanley Agency, Hanover High School, Harvard University Alumni Association, Harvard University Athletics, Harvard University Baseball, Basketball, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, & Water Polo teams, Harvard University Finance Department, Harvard University Varsity Club, Haley & Aldrich, Inc., Health Imperatives, John D. O’Bryant School of Mathematics & Science, Laboure College, Massachusetts Manufactured Housing Association, Miniter Group, National Grid, National Resource Management, New York Life, PCI SSC, Pembroke Public Schools, Phase Zero Design, Porsche Audi Norwell, PowerAdvocate, SanDisk, Savers Thrift Store, Shields General Store, South Boston Community Health Center, South East Fence Co., Sturtevant, Inc., Talbots, Inc., The Woodlands of Abington, United HVAC, UPPAbaby
Do you offer food and beverage concession services?
- Yes. We offer food and beverage concession services for summer camps, fundraisers, corporate events, sports camps, school functions, and other events for larger groups of up to 1,000 guests.
Do you cater events at reception halls, function halls, clubs, outdoor pavilions, and other venues?
- Yes. We offer our full on-site catering service, including on-site grilling, at local reception halls, function halls, clubs, outdoor pavilions, and other venues throughout the South Shore and the Greater Boston area.
- When we cater at reception halls, function halls, and other venues, we typically still offer our standard on-site catering service, including on-site, outdoor grilling with our own grills and equipment.
- We have catered weddings, company barbecues, clambakes, and other events at a number of local venues including, among others:
Camp Kiwanee in Hanson, Camp Wing in Duxbury, Cedar Hill Retreat Center in Duxbury, Fourth Cliff Recreation Area in Humarock, The Gardens at Elm Bank in Wellesley, Garibaldi Club in Plymouth, Green Harbor Yacht Club in Marshfield, East Sandwich Grange Hall, Eel River Beach Club, Harvard Stadium, Harvard University, The Hilltop Athletic Association in Kingston, Hingham Yacht Club, Lightkeeper’s House (Bancroft Hall) in Cohasset, North Attleboro Elks Lodge, Pilgrim Belle Cruise Ship in Plymouth, Scituate Maritime Center, Sharon Community Center, Sons of Italy Lodge in Hingham, South Shore Yacht Club in Weymouth, Webb Memorial State Park Pavilion in Weymouth, Weymouth Elks Club, Brockton, Onset, and Whitman VFW Posts
Do you offer delivery or pick-up service?
- We focus primarily on on-site catering, but we will sometimes offer delivery-only service on weekdays year-round (Monday-Thursday) and on weekends in the late fall and early spring (March, April, October, November) depending on our availability, the delivery location, and the details and total cost of the order. We do not offer pick-up service. We offer two types of delivery service:
- Our standard delivery-only service includes food-drop off and set-up, including wire chafing stands with sternos, serviceware, white Chinet paper plates, white plastic flatware, and napkins. When we arrive on-site, we would set up your buffet on tables that you have set up. We would put the hot food on your menu in aluminum pans on the wire chafing stands that we would provide and light the sternos for service. We would bring the cold food on your menu in aluminum pans and set that up for you as well. After we set everything up for you, we would be on our way
- For our basic delivery-only service, when we arrive on site we would drop off the food on your menu in aluminum pans and then be on our way. We would not provide any chafing stands, sternos, serviceware, plates, flatware, napkins, or any other items for your event.
- We generally require a minimum $500 order for our delivery-only service.
Do you charge a gratuity for your catered events?
- No. We believe that gratuity for service should be optional and left completely up to the customer on the day of the event, so we do not include an automatic gratuity charge for any of our catered events.
Do you offer party rentals?
- We provide grey steel chafing dishes with aluminum pans, stainless steel serviceware, and buffet tables with ivory cloth buffet table linens with vinyl overlays as part of our on-site catering service at no extra charge.
- We directly rent stainless steel chafing dishes with stainless steel pans, and ivory, white, or black cloth buffet table linens upon request and for an additional charge.
- We also offer faux white china plastic plates and faux stainless steel plastic flatware as an alternative to our standard white Chinet paper plates and white plastic flatware upon request and for an additional charge.
- For other party rentals that we do not rent directly like tents, guest tables, bar tables, chairs, china, guest table linens, stainless steel flatware, glassware, etc., we generally refer our customers to some very good local party rental companies that they may contact directly to make their party rental arrangements.
- If you would prefer to have Grill 41 arrange for your party rentals with a party rental company on your behalf instead, we can. When we make party rental arrangements for our customers, we just add a service charge to the party rental company’s rental price for making those arrangements.
Do you offer beverage or alcohol service?
- We offer soft drink beverage service and a variety of soft drink options, but we do not directly provide alcohol or bar service ourselves.
- Instead, we work with a few local beverage service companies that we may refer you to directly to provide everything that you may need for your bar – beer, wine, spirits, and other alcohol, soft drinks, ice, glassware, bar setup, bartenders, etc.
- If you would prefer to have Grill 41 arrange for your alcoholic beverage service on your behalf instead, we can. When we make beverage service arrangements for our customers, we just add a service charge to the beverage service company’s price for making those arrangements.
- Also, if you plan to provide alcohol for your event yourself, Grill 41 can provide you with bartenders to service your event upon request.
Do you offer vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free menu options?
- Yes. We offer a number of vegetarian and vegan appetizers, entrees, sides, and desserts. A majority of our house-made sauces, rubs, dressings, and marinades, and many of our appetizers, entrees, and sides are also naturally gluten-free. We do not use nuts in any of our recipes.
- If you or any of your guests have any dietary or allergy concerns about your menu, please let us know so that we can work with you to put together a menu that works for your event.
What do we need to do to book our event with Grill 41?
- After you’ve had a chance to review the catered event proposal that we prepared for you, if you would like to have Grill 41 cater your event, just let us know and we will send you an event confirmation agreement that outlines our payment terms and cancellation policy.
- In order to formally book your event and reserve your date with us, we will need to receive an initial deposit from you based on the estimated total cost of your event.
After we book our event with Grill 41, can we still change our menu, guest count, etc.?
- If you decide to book your event with us, we can adjust the details of your event, including the guest count, menu, service, rentals, and other items at anytime up until about two to three weeks before your event date.
- Our menu offerings and prices are subject to change at any time.
- Our menu prices and on-site catering service charges do not include additional charges for Massachusetts meals tax or permitting fees that may apply.
- Our menu prices and on-site catering fees are based on a 50 person minimum guest count. Additional charges may apply for smaller parties.
- Before placing your order, please inform your server if a person in your party has a food allergy.
- For more information about Grill 41 and our services, contact our chef and owner, Joe Hiffa, at email@example.com.